Happy New Year Everyone! One of the many advantages of a brand new year, is too reflect upon what 2014 had to offer, or what it didn’t, and create some new goals to ensure that 2015 would be better. 2014 wasn’t as great as 2013 was, but it did have some spectacular moments. Therefore I would like to take this post to reflect upon all that 2014 was, by going through these photos and maybe getting sappy.
DISCLAIMER: This post is very long, but worth it. I promise.
1. I started my New Years off in Portugal and everything about that country is so breathtaking that this photo, and any photo for that matter can not do it justice.
2. Short Hair Everywhere! I love the idea of change, and cutting off more hair is my way of doing it. This was probably the shortest I’ve ever gone, but it was quite the experience watching it grow out.
3. My first aquarium visit..yes I’m a child. However, it was our first family outing in 2014 and minus the children everywhere it was pretty cool.
4. I have this tradition that as soon as I get back from Portugal, I go to Renee’s house the morning after to update her on the trip and eat. Ask her yourself, I’m horrible at story-telling, I always lose my train of thought.
5. First Ryerson Varsity Hockey Game, and of course my wing-woman Jaclyn had to come along for the ride. She even let me wear my fedora. Unfortunately Jaclyn started 2015 off in a bit of a rough situation, so send her your love and thoughts!
6. So, as I’ve mentioned before I’m not at all satisfied University and its offerings, and all I wanted to do was write, so I decided to start up a blog, but first….I wanted to reflect. Just like I’m doing right now. The “Year of Man, Year of Me” piece was released which gave me the confidence to create this blog and continue on with the novel.
1. Stu-dying. Coldplay helps I promise.
2. My favourite Brother and Sister duo, a Smores cookie, and an afternoon of forgetting about the fact that there’s probably readings to be done.
3. Study sessions with Alison, also that lip-stick stained cup was my attempt at trying to drink tea to get better, Cold 911 worked instantly…very fishy.
4. Tequila Tuesdays with Courtney are probably what got me through last semester, every Tuesday would consist of black market trips, and once we even threw a surprise party….On a Tuesday.
5. ORIGINAL SQUAD. Who would have thought that after meeting Mark and Richard in Grade 9, that I would still be incredibly close with them today. Yesterday we all reunited again, just before things got crazy again, (except for Richard, who had a few modelling ventures in Milan), and the best part about these kinds of friendships is the fact that you can pick up right where you’ve left off, even if you haven’t seen one another in awhile.
1. I got to see Demi Lovato!!! It was incredible. I’m so thankful that Chloe gave me these tickets. But…there’s a blog post for that.
2. Alison Ryan, keeping me sane in all of my lectures since 2013. Keep an eye out for a certain project of ours in 2015….
3. Random trips to Montreal? I’ll take it. Fun fact about this trip: we decided to stay an extra day, and my dad knew we didn’t pack an extra outfit for dinner, so he sent us out in downtown Montreal and wished us luck. (Took us 2 hours)
4. Mina! My Portuguese mom. She’s so badass, and it’s one of those friendships where you keep each other motivated to ensure that you’re both succeeding alongside one another.
5. Ah Lattes, how I’ve spent so much money on thee.
6. I was just explaining this photo to someone I’d met around this time, and I told him (in a non-narcissistic manner), that this was my favourite of me, because I was genuinely happy. In my cuffed mom jeans, and my dad’s shirt. Fun fact: stealing your dad’s clothing is better than stealing your sister’s.
1. Finally! After years of asking and begging, the Beca’s finally adopted a puppy from the Humane Society. We weren’t looking for a puppy in particular, but we happened to connect with her the most and she turns 1 in 3 weeks!
2. Sister Duo at Iggy Azalea. I finally met my concert buddy Nicole that night, and even though the concert wasn’t as enjoyable as I’d thought (due to how short I am) we still managed to…um…discretely twerk.
3. My Sister’s Photography continued on in 2014, and I was thankful enough to be apart of her Portfolio.
4 & 5: Carla appreciation post: the first photo is our “first selfie” in a place where we’d grown up together, and after 8 years we finally returned. Cue the “Oh my Goodness you’re so big” ladies pinching your cheeks. Also, she turned 25! and as I’m writing this she’s singing Brazilian music into my ear.
1. Iggy Azalea brought our bond closer, and this became the first of many Queen St trips, and concerts.
2. It takes time for a rescue dog to get comfortable around you, but when they do it makes it all worth while. This was the first time Pebbles really started to trust us, but it didn’t mean that the carpet accidents were going to stop.
3. Mothers day breakfasts, hire me for all your breakfast needs.
4. Eva’s birthday! She also let me play music for the entirety of the party….I apologize Mr. and Mrs. Borson for my love of Rap Music.
5. In exchange for getting a dog, Lola’s been getting extra love…so yeah she did get the pizza slice after this photo.
6. Like fine wine, they only get better with age. As I was working the Great Gatsby charity boxing event, they attended as guests/sponsors. Look at my dad’s bowtie!!!
(Not in point form this one….)
JUNE. June wins for the best month of the Summer. Maybe it’s because I finally turned 19 and was now able to purchase the alcohol I was illegally drinking before hand, but I also found my first typewriter, which sadly was kind of a scam purchase because they did not inform us of it’s imperfections. Thankfully there are still people out there selling parts and fixing them up for good ol’ fashioned writers like yours truly. Next, my family from England came to visit for both mine and Vanessa’s birthday, which was probably the best birthday gift a girl could ask for (next to Humane Society Donations), but what was even better about their visit, was the memory I will always…always have with me. My first tattoo. If you would have told me in 2013 that I was going to have my first tattoo 6 months in, I’d probably laugh and say “SO IT GOES” but I sat through 15 minutes of uncomfortable stinging, and left there feeling pretty bad ass. Finally, Alex Turner…Alex Turner, have you given me such high expectations for men. I’m completely kidding, Turner would never call me a literary tease. Anyways, that concert gave me so much more of an appreciation towards the Arctic Monkeys and their music, and i’m incredibly thankful Nicole brought me along with her. (You have not seen a beer champion, until you’ve met Nicole)
1. I had to get a carry on just to carry my Summer reads, and I managed to get through all of these during my 3 weeks in Portugal. I recommend these all to you, readers.
2. There’s this River in Portugal that I refused to go to, because of the climb. I’m terrified of heights, and even more so terrified of this river. Yet, I managed to climb down, and make my way up without breaking anything, but I probably won’t be doing that for awhile. Sobs. Sobs.
3. It wouldn’t be a trip to Portugal without a few of these.
4. Before I left, I caught up with a great friend of mine, Natalie…who just started a blog http://journeytonatalie.tumblr.com/ over some soy burgers we discussed her decision to go Vegan, our goals as writers, and more! Follow her blog for some insight on her wonderful journey.
5. Although I’m not the biggest fan of Gin, it was the afternoon spent on my Uncle’s rooftop with a breath-taking a view that made it so special.
6. White girls in plaid? Shocker. Blonde’s may do it better, but a brunette friend adds good contrast!
AUGUST..a.k.a. One more month of freedom. SO. Let’s get down to it.
1. First clubbing experience: and yet I managed to get into the DJ booth…..s/o to my sister being incredibly attrackive. (Only she will get that grammar mistake)
2. Reuniting with my Portugal friends, it doesn’t really matter how many times a year I go there, it’s still going to be such a culture shock to me, especially because I live in the City almost 300 days a year, if not less. But coming home to such a calm atmosphere, where everyone feels like family and many are, is more than I could ever ask for. Also, that’s probably one of the only people there who can put up with me speaking English when I need to.
3. Highlight of my Summer: Mina came down to visit me in Toronto, and came with me to my MTV Fora interview, which I walked out of informing her that I had got the internship. We spent the entire walk home in the giddiest manner, and we’re still in awe of this 2014 turn-around.
4. Another highlight of my Summer was getting the chance to give my childhood self what I wanted, and even if it was for a few months, it was still enough for the good ol’ composition notebooks.
5. These two ladies are the most incredible people I’ve ever met and I’m so thankful that even after 6 years we’re still able to sit in a Menchies and laugh at everything that used to bother us before. It is truly a privilege to watch these two grow each and every time I see them. *Editor’s note* I see Renee almost every day and she does grow everyday I promise. She started to eat steak recently.
6. Finally, this surfing photo marks the end of my trip, but also reminded me that I’m not as athletic as most, and surfers can’t really wear glasses which means they can’t see where they’re surfing towards…or whom they’re surfing towards as a matter of fact. I know I only lasted 15 minutes in the water and 15 on shore, but getting myself into the water still managed to be good enough for me. I can’t surf….but I can write a mean essay.
1. These last 6 years we’ve started school together, and I was very thankful that Renee didn’t switch schools, because I didn’t know if I was actually going to have to start going places without her….and like become an adult? But it’s September of our 2nd year of University, and we’re still running home in the rain to have pasta at my house.
2. Ali’s text messages are probably the only thing that keeps me sane. I probably wouldn’t have made it through these last few semesters without her and I’m 100% certain that we will kick 2015’s BUTT together.
3. MY FIRST SEPTEMBER ISSUE. Caps Lock because I spent two nights worshipping this bible of Fashion and swooned over every pea-coat. I began to realize that since I’ve left a Uniformed school, I’ve started to appreciate fashion more.
4. My concert buddy of the year as we ate burgers and drank beers, we cursed men and swayed along to The Black Keys and Cage The Elephant. Again, another two artists of whom I’d grown to appreciate since seeing them live. You’re lying if Aberdeen isn’t your shower song (am I right?)
5. #FORAFOREVER – Can you say that you got a braid-up at your internship? Can you also say that you Bobby Shmurda’d in a room full of successful and intelligent women? BECAUSE I CAN, and I’m incredibly grateful that I was apart of the braidybrunch, s/o to Carla for giving me braid-up’s at a young age.
6. Nataley Goodman! The first ever Ryerson English major to acknowledge my existence, and as we bonded over hot-hots, we’ve also gone through 11pm phone-calls dealing with Existential crisis’ and horrible Professors.
1. That me. Team MTV. It’s real. It’s very real.
2. If you’re ever going to be-friend Alison Ryan please remember that she will probably make you regret any of your criticisms towards the Kardashian’s and Nicki Minaj. Don’t believe me? The picture is self-explanatory.
3. I was having the worst day possible, and Chantel decided to create a Vogue cover of me for her assignment, I found myself laughing for 15 minutes straight, but I was also pretty excited because this is probably as close to a Vogue cover as I’ll get.
4. Pebbles the Pumpkin.
5. The Black Canary is my hide-out, but it’s also where a lot of my Ryerson stories/novel entries take place. The person whom I was meeting this day, often makes me very nervous at times (it’s a good kind of nervous, not an anxious kind of nervous) and I was listening to him speak, but also doodling the entire time to calm me down. The barista’s really appreciated the art, and I was starting to appreciate the company.
6. Bastille is such an incredible artist. Nicole and I were floor for the concert, and after blushing over Julia Orsini’s kind words and hugs, I was so grateful to be present in such an amazing environment. It was such an astounding concert, I could barely even mutter a few good words after this concert because I knew that I was going to go home and wish I had it on Vinyl. Thank you Bastille!
1. Bae-rrito, but also the day us Intern’s were left in charge of a Christmas article and we decided to spend the entire time attempting to get July Talk tickets, singing Beyonce’s Jealous, and trying to get the lighting just right. (see #2 for more Sappiness)
2. Part 2: This was not a posed photo, this is exactly what every Friday was for the last 4 months, and we managed to show up to our #GIRLBOSS’ party late, with Pizza, Vanessa Cesario decor, and sarcasm.
3. Another great part of the MTV Fora experience was the opportunities given to you, and this was one of the most exciting of them all, not just because I threw popcorn at Liz Trinnear, but because we sat on the floor of the studio, eating Fresh, and talking about our love-lives.
4. For the first time in awhile, somebody pointed out the difference in who I’ve become since the first time they met me. The photo being January’s #2 photo. I couldn’t tell at first whether or not that’s a compliment, but to me it became one. University has shaped me into who I am today, and I wouldn’t really have it any other way.
5. Thank you Matteo for driving me home in your White Lexus on Thursdays. I won’t tell anyone about your love for One Direction.
6. Patricia’s pretty much a Beca, and she managed to get me out of my house, until 2am..at a club. Although I was out of my comfort zone, and completely sober the entire time, I was having an even better time than I thought I was going to have.
7. Rachael and Alison, thank you for making English lectures so bearable. Also. 21.
1. They weren’t lying when they said that shit gets real after 2am, but after this phone-call it was then that I realized the contrast in who I was in 2014, and who I’ll be in 2015. Maybe this will be the year that I’ll finally accept that we don’t always have all the time in the world, but if you take advantage of the time you do have, and choose very wisely as to whom you spend it with, then I guarantee you, you will happier than ever.
2. Cassandra Pito, I met her through my poetry, and now, I send her and Renee my work first to get her first opinion of it. It’s people like her that make me want to write, and people like Erica (misspositif), Rachael Aragona, Jayde Garcia, Victoria (boobs radley) from Tumblr, Alex Sarria, Daniel Melfi, Dom Finelli, Chloe, Venezia, Bianca (Sarnia XO), Julia Orsini, Teeana/Pumpernickl, Ida Mahmoudi, Chamaul, Salina Harris, Melissa Edre, Flavia Gomez, Vanda, Diana, Emily, Giovanana, Chanel (Evilennexo), Mina Alves, Alison Ryan and so much more, there are so many people that leave me speechless and keep me so motivated to keep on writing. Thank you all so much for shaping me as a writer today.
3. (Office Photo) That photo marked the last day of my MTV Fora experience, and it was then that I realized that no other internship will compare to what I experienced at MTV Fora. Once again thank you Dani Roche for being so wise and more of a friend than a boss. Thank you to Jenn, Rosanna, Leoor, Jackie, Danielle for being present during this experience, and I can definitely say that I left there learning something from all of you. I’m so grateful for Free Agency for letting us play annoying vines, and laugh incredibly loud. Thank you to my FORA Intern Babes for all your guidance and intelligent wisdom. I also apologize for all the crumbs left on the table (sorry Chris), and I promise we will all come visit.
4. (Projector Text) Found this piece on tumblr that really resonated with how I felt in that moment, unfortunately the author remained anonymous, but it was this day that I started up a new side project, which I hope to one day release, as soon as it gets finished within the next 2 weeks. It’s almost a prologue to the novel but an epilogue as well. That Rock N’ Roll eh, that Rock N’ Roll will never die. (Alex Turner voice)
5. (Drunk Squad Pic) Every November/December, Renee throws a house party. I rapped, twerked, and made pancakes before I left in the morning.
6. (Grinch Photo) Self-explanatory but also it’s the Grinch. I couldn’t resist getting that photo taken.
7. Finally, the best photo to end off the year. I’ve said it before in this post and I’ll say it again, but I am 100% grateful that I’ve got these girls by my side, and that I’m truly blessed because that isn’t even half of my cool girl army. We’ve grown together this year, and will continue growing in 2015.